Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Krishnavilasam- Home food at a price

A get together by mates of a Facebook group made me go this beautiful restaurant. When you step in to Krishnavillasam situated in Haddows Road, Nungambakkam it is a different world all together. Situated  on the main road with near by government offices and a huge corporate nearby, the positioning of the restaurant posh area seems to be a great idea.




The ambience is good. The restaurant is actually on the second and the third floor. There is a lift and was so happy to see a wheelchair there for the elderly and the differently abled. I was After waiting for an hour and half and trying to decide where to get us seated, we finally found ourselves in the Second floor overlooking the main road. A tad disappointed about not being served even water until 10 mins after we got seated.





We had a special menu with 20 dishes and it was an experience to share. Am going to avoid writing much about the blah blah and get down to the dishes right away.


The welcome drink was just another drink, added sugar and watered down heavily . Nothing much to comment about it. It would have been nice if we had a starter or two given along with the welcome drink.


Fried Appalam or Pappad was served as a appetiser or whatever category it fits. Personally speaking its a no go for me as it was too salty. Not my way to start off a meal.


                                                                   
Nice mix of spices and well cooked paneer which was soft and yum. Paneer being a vegetarian's delight. I loved the taste of it. The first batch of it was good but the second serving on, it became very chewy.


Baby Corn cut into long strips , steamed and fried with Palak (Spinach ) and spices. Was tasty and did not get soggy till the end. Palak Vepudu


Paruppu Vada or Vada made with lentils. Lovely to taste and not oily. The vada however felt very out of place in the menu. May be it was to give a south indian twist to the dish but it definitely did not blend in with the other starters.


The Sambar rice was good and I was surprised with lil strips of raw mango in the dish. Tasted much like home made sambar rice with not much masalas.


The sole accompaniment to the Sambar rice was this mash of Potato and Yam fry. Though yam and potato combination are not exactly my favortie, it did taste good. I did not however go for a second helping of either the Sambar rice or the accompaniment


We had an avial and a eruseri as the other two dishes. Aviyal was good while Eruseri tasted like an authentic home made preparation.


The Morkozhambu felt a lil out of place but it tasted nice.  The dessert was a Chinthamani halwa but tasted more like a regular halwa that you have in South India weddings.



I left the halwa at my table to do some socializing and by the time I got back to my dessert, I had to use all my energy to separate my fork and the halwa. It took me about a minute to take the halwa out of the cup to just gulp it down without even relishing it.

To summarize, the food is as good as home food and delicious. On the flip side, would I even go to a restaurant and pay my pocket for home food however delicious it may be when I can get the same thing at home. To add on, the service was terrible. The waiters were running around not knowing what to do next. I had to ask for water to be served thrice before I was served. The so called special menu did not gel well together and left much to be desired.

Krishnavillasam- Not quire what I expected it to be. Hoping the next time around it gets better.








No comments:

Post a Comment